Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Urban Banilad

Banilad or Sterculia comosa was the tree that inspired my thesis in 2007.  In 2008 I brought home banilad seeds from Bohol and grew them into seedlings.  When they reached a certain height, I gave all of them away to friends. Now I only have a single seedling in my garden, relatively small at a foot height. 
The urban banilad specimen
The other day I went to my friend Pinky's house and I was elated to find her banilad big and tall.  It was one of the seedlings I handed out, but since hers was outplanted in soil, it has become relatively a small tree. It could have been bigger but their driver is constantly pruning  the excess branches so that it would not over cast the whole house. I believe banilad promises to be one of the nicer native trees to plant in an urban setting, definitely A-okey to grow in Manila.
 

No comments: