Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Hi-Street Session

At Bonifacio Hi-Street
Sketching Specific Gravity
It was my third time to join the monthly sketching session of Urban Sketchers Philippines. September's session brought us to the urban landscape of Fort Bonifacio, specifically Bonifacio Hi-Street.  We were to meet at the infamous Specific Gravity sculpture of Reg Yuson.

Sketchers at work
We were pegged to meet at 3:30 PM but no one was still in the vicinity of the sculpture cum fountain.  I made a quick scan of the surrounding shops and spotted USP fixture Eileen Escueta sitting at Figaro's, already doodling her selected scene.  I sat down with her company, so I could also bring out my drawing paraphernalia and start sketching.

Without any pencil lines
A few minutes into my contour line composition, one by one the USP members were popping up, steadily filling up the seats of Figaro's al fresco dining.  Different sizes of sketch pads and varying kinds of drawing and coloring media were eventually pulled out from bags.

The favorite subject was the Reg Yuson sculpture, though that day the cascading water element was turned off. But that did not hinder the boys and gals from finding the perfect angle to depict the large synthetic stone and metal art installation.    

Unfinished sketch
At around 430, we were asked to transfer to the covered pathway near Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and start a new drawing.  But eventually the chosen subject taken was still the same familiar sculpture. All were racing to finish their quick sketches as it was already nearing dusk.  The color of the landscape surface are turning from bright tints of color into shades of dark tones and grey. 
My first attempt
Urban Sketchers
At 530 pm, the sketching session abruptly came to an end, testing the USP's ability to quickly capture the essence of Hi Street with just a few fast strides of pen or pencil. I myself did not get to finish my last drawing.  But somehow I managed to make 2 small drawings to mark my brief participation in this USP activity.  Can't wait till next month, when I again get to add something worth sketching in my small notebook.  

1 comment:

Gigi said...

wow i hope tacloban sketchers will get this huge!